Monday, February 01, 2010

no ceiling



there was a time while i was living in Mexico City
that i used to like Pearl Jam
then my "densos" (hard-core) rock friends pointed
some of their 'faults' to me
and for one reason or another, i stopped following them
but i always like Eddie Vedder's lamb-like voice
meeeeh meeeh he goes, and i like it
and then one day i watched Into the Wild
a great film directed by Sean Penn, and etc. etc. etc
since then i recovered some certain admiration for Vedder
who wrote the score music and soundtrack of the film
i don't think the songs are musically the best
but the lyrics, the darn lyrics are really good
so Vedder is a cute lamb and a poet too!
also he played most of the instruments during the recording
i didn't know he could play the banjo and i really
like the banjo sound on this track
here to match my last-week California winter shot

No Ceiling, a short yet lovely banjo song



Comes the morning
When I can feel
That there's nothing left to be concealed
Moving on a scene surreal
No, my heart will never, will never be far from here

Sure as I am breathing
Sure as I'm sad
I'll keep this wisdom in my flesh
I leave here believing more than I had
And there's a reason I'll be, a reason I'll be back

As I walk the hemisphere
I got my wish to up and disappear
I've been wounded, I've been healed
Now for landing I've been, for landing I've been cleared

Sure as I am breathing
Sure as I'm sad
I'll keep this wisdom in my flesh
I leave here believing more than I had
This love has got no ceiling.

5 comments:

Dr. Jay SW said...

Though I have their first two albums and think they're pretty good, I've always thought that, Pearl Jam were far weaker as a rock band than most of the those that caught fire in the early 80's (including both those that were actually somewhat new then--Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, etc., but also--and this was really the more important development, I think--those older bands that finally got some recognition--Sonic Youth, the Meat Puppets, Dinosaur Jr., Throwing Muses--even if most were well past their prime...and some really should've hung it up). And yet, I think Eddie Vedder is a very gifted writer of personal ballads, like "Daughter," "Elderly Lady," "I'm Still Alive" (a loud ballad, but a ballad nonetheless), so I really should check out that soundtrack (I've seen the movie but don't remember the music)...and would listen to the track you put up except that there's music playing and I'm too lazy to get up and turn it off...really should go to bed, probably...

the thilo said...

Very nice song Frau Bere!
It reminds me of Grant Lee Buffalo... :)

alberto centurion basso said...

Fresi Vedder


hehe!

Georg said...

You certainly enlarge my musical knowledge, Berenice.

Thanks, my dear.

Georg

bereweber said...

@Ground Control, that Fresi Vedder was expected from you :) please check the coming post so i can reach forgiveness

@Dr. Jay, agree with you on the "missing something" and somehow weak Pearl Jam thing... and i followed for more than 5 albums, i think... Ten was great!! i used to wake up, when those CD players that had an alarm came out.. i used to wake up to Even Flow every morning for a month, not a smooth way to start the day... and then Vs., Vitalogy, were pretty good too, No Code was OK, and Yield was the last one i had and was getting worse... i heard the new album is pretty decent, so i am curious... but i guess not enough 'cause haven't listened to it, ha!

@herr Thilo, very glad you enjoyed them :)

and @herr Georg, my pleasure!