"It is our earth, not yours or mine or his. We are meant to live on it, helping each other, not destroying each other."
my little tribute to Earth Day
14 Surprising Things You CAN Recycle
taken from Star12
1. Appliances – Goodwill accepts working appliances or contact the Steel Recycling Institute to recycle them
2. Batteries (rechargeable and reusable) – visit www.batteryrecycling.com and find out how to dispose of yours
3. CDs/DVDs/Game Disks – refurbish scratched disks with www.auraltech.com
4. Compact fluorescent bulbs – You can take them to your local IKEA store for recycling.
5. Computers and electronics – many computer manufactures take back old computers to recycle for free
6. Eyeglasses – you can donate your used eyeglasses or call your local eye care chain to see if you can recycle them there
7. Foam packing – Call the Plastic Loose Fill Producers Council to find a drop-off site
8. Ink/toner Cartridges – www.recycleplace.com will pay for them or you can get them refilled at a reduced rate at most office supply stores
9. Oil – visit www.recycleoil.com to find out where you can recycle used motor oil
10. Sports equipment – try reselling, donating or trading it in at your local sporting good store
11. Toothbrushes and razors – visit www.recycleline.com
12. Tennis Shoes – Nike’s Reuse-a-Shoe program turns old shoes into playground and athletic flooring. Visit www.nikereuseashoe.com.
13. Phones – visit www.donateaphone.com to find out how to recycle and/or donate your used phone
14. Cardboard Boxes – donate yours to local nonprofits and women’s shelters
and now on meat...
here about 16 quotes of famous characters on vegetarianism and no-meat diets
sadly, i am not a vegetarian, yet... i am a cruel as all meat eaters
but the more i think about it, the sadder i become
i hope i have the strength to change a hamburger for some inoffensive nuts
if i ever do it, it would be for the animal cruelty reason
maybe you like these famous people would like to give it a try too
"Vegetarian food leaves a deep impression on our nature. If the whole world adopts vegetarianism, it can change the destiny of humankind."
"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."
~Pythagoras (6th century BC)
"A man of my spiritual intensity does not eat corpses... Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends."
~George Bernard Shaw
"My situation is a solemn one. Life is offered to me on condition of eating beefsteaks. But death is better than cannibalism. My will contains directions for my funeral, which will be followed not by mourning coaches, but by oxen, sheep, flocks of poultry, and a small traveling aquarium of live fish, all wearing white scarfs in honor of the man who perished rather than eat his fellow creatures."
~George Bernard Shaw
"People often say that humans have always eaten animals, as if this is a justification for continuing the practice. According to this logic, we should not try to prevent people from murdering other people, since this has also been done since the earliest of times."
"If we cut up beasts simply because they cannot prevent us and because we are backing our own side in the struggle for existence, it is only logical to cut up imbeciles, criminals, enemies, or capitalists for the same reasons."
~C. S. Lewis
"One farmer says to me, "You cannot live on vegetable food solely, for it furnishes nothing to make the bones with;" and so he religiously devotes a part of his day to supplying himself with the raw material of bones; walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, which, with vegetable-made bones, jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle."
~Henry David Thoreau
"I have no doubt that it is part of the destiny of the human race in its gradual improvement to leave off eating animals."
~Henry David Thoreau
"Since visiting the abbatoirs of S. France I have stopped eating meat."
~Vincent Van Gogh (in a letter to his brother Theodore)
"Nothing more strongly arouses our disgust than cannibalism, yet we make the same impression on Buddhists and vegetarians, for we feed on babies, though not our own."
~Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)
"As long as there are slaughterhouses, there will be battlefields."
"A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral."
"Flesh eating is simply immoral, as it involves the performance of an act, which is contrary to moral feeling: killing. By killing, man suppresses in himself, unnecessarily, the highest spiritual capacity, that of sympathy and pity towards living creatures like himself and by violating his own feelings becomes cruel."
"Flesh eating is unprovoked murder."
"I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men."
~Leonardo da Vinci
"I feel very deeply about vegetarianism and the animal kingdom. It was my dog Boycott who led me to question to right of humans to eat other sentient beings."
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated... I do feel that spiritual progress does demand at some stage that we should cease to kill our fellow creatures for the satisfaction of our bodily wants."
"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."
"The eating of meat extinguishes the seed of great compassion."
To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana."
more info in case you want to stop eating animals too
i hope i find the enlightenment and discipline to stop eating meat
hopefully one day, the only meat-eaters in my household will be
Frau Kitty and Herr Gato, as cats are strict carnivores
and don't miss Earth Days
the PBS documentary
it follows the development of the ecological movement
and the first Earth Day back in 1970
this beautiful planet and all its inhabitants
animals, insects, plants deserve something
have forgotten, they deserve our
why am i growing a conscience?
it is painful and a lot of work!