Thursday, April 30, 2009

Into the Wild (film)

I watched this film
Into the Wild
this past weekend
it left echos in my soul
that will resonate for a long time



directed by Sean Penn
the film is based on the book
of the same name by Jon Krakauer

the book and film follow
the true story and adventures of
Christopher McCandless
an American dreamer, walker, who looked
to escape from the chains of 'society'
immersing himself 'Into the Wild',
he changed his name for Alexander Supertramp
and followed his dreams all the way to Alaska...

here McCandless
on his last self-portrait as found in an
undeveloped film in his camera in the
"magic Bus", smiling, fulfilling his dreams



the film, as the life and dreams of McCandless,
is full of controversy, but also full of
beauty in many ways, visually, literature-wise,
and even if hearth breaking, i found the film
rather inspiring

if you appreciate literature, this movie
will capture your heart too
full of insight and quotes
most from McCandless himself
and others from authors such as Lord Byron

the soundtrack of the film by Eddie Vedder
has its dose of controversy itself
I personally think he did an excellent job
and each one of the lyrics go according
McCandless notes and thoughts
here one of the songs that won a Golden Globe
the more i listen to it
the deeper it engraves itself into my little heart
Guaranteed



On bended knee is no way to be free
Lifting up an empty cup, I ask silently
All my destinations will accept the one that's me
So I can breathe...

Circles they grow and they swallow people whole
Half their lives they say goodnight to wives they'll never know
A mind full of questions, and a teacher in my soul
And so it goes...

Don't come closer or I'll have to go
Holding me like gravity are places that pull
If ever there was someone to keep me at home
It would be you...

Everyone I come across, in cages they bought
They think of me and my wandering, but I'm never what they thought
I've got my indignation, but I'm pure in all my thoughts
I'm alive...

Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere
Underneath my being is a road that disappeared
Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead
Overhead...

Leave it to me as I find a way to be
Consider me a satellite, forever orbiting
I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me
Guaranteed

[another great song]

3 comments:

Dr. Jay SW said...

I feel a real connection to the book the movie was based on...I liked the movie, but the book went a lot more into the literary/philosophical ideal of rejecting society for the woods...because Chris McCandless and I, though I was a few years older, were both incredibly alienated college graduates with some similar ideas. In the Summer of 1992, while he was in the Alaskan wilderness, I was hiking the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine. I came back, he didn't...and that's where our paths diverge....

endemoniado said...

que chistoso¡¡¡ la acabo de ver hqace como 15 dias y me atrapo, hasta tuve un disgusto con manolo por que ya se queria ir.

lastima que el tipo se murio, pero me parece tan liberador ser asi y a la vez tan solitario, al final se dio cuenta que la felicidad hay que compartirla, que hay que vivir a pesar de el dinero, de el materialismo de la enajenacion, las personas son las que se enejenan y me parece que en su rechazo a sus padres se perdio de ellos, tambien me parece medio autobiografica, te acuerdas cuando queriamos ir wichita y demas lugares estupidos??? ?, me quede, pero tambien no me siento tan frustada por que hago lo que quiero, no puedo cambiar al mundo y espero que el mundo no me cambie jamas. he convivido mejor con mis padres y los he perdonado , muchas cosas no cambian pero lo importante es que nosostros evolucionemos. que bueno que la hayas visto y te haya gustado tanto como a mi

bereweber said...

hi Dr. Jay SW
i should've known that you are too a free/tormented soul, very glad to know via you that the book is better, sure i will pick it up, not sure why the woods (and not more tropical settings) seem to call us, the lost souls, i haven't done anything as radical as you did or Chris McCandless, i've never been brave enough to escape into the woods, but surely, i've been tempted enough... also the quality of hermit-like life has always been attractive to me, after all i do live alone, and i seem to hide from my friends more than look for company, somehow, i feel more 'myself' and 'natural' while alone, and if in deep connection with nature, better!

the last time i felt this urge of moving alone to the woods, was while visiting a mountain town here in California, 2 hrs drive from San Diego, it's a beautiful chilly town, that grew with the California Gold Rush, Julian is the town, still small and keeps the charm of those days, it's surrounded by beautiful mountains and woods

here some pix of that vacation in case you want to see :)

http://www.23hq.com/bere/album/603959

and dear Lucas!!

eres Chio, verdad? sii!! me imagino que te gusto la película, de hecho pensé mucho en tí cuando la vi y en nuestros sueños de libertad cuando eramos mas jovenes!!

espero platicar pronto contigo sobre la película... y Chio!! tienes que leer a Haruki Murakami, te va a encantar!! estoy leyendo ahorita "Kafka en la Orilla" yo que tu, iba y compraba el libro AHORITA MISMO!!

www.leergratis.com/resena/kafka-en-la-orilla-de-haruki-murakami.html

visita este link y hugs