Wednesday, October 07, 2009

new apartment gone awry

i canceled the lease in the about-to-be-my-home
'cause i found roaches in the fridge...
saw them one night right before moving in
& after having signed the 1-year lease

now i am
dealing with getting back my in-advance month of rent
and deposit
then these are
busy. strange. hectic. confusing
times

yet i am OK hopeful to get
at minimum my deposit back
and some of the month-rent money

and even if i hate courts
somehow i wouldn't mind taking the matter
to the small claims court
i feel strong and would love to face
the guys that were supposed to be my landlords
they were prompt to reply on a weekend
when they wanted my deposit and rent in advance
but they sent the contractor to talk to me
and didn't reply my phone calls when i canceled the deal

tonight, i wrote many e-mails to those landlords
and talk to a jerky one for over 30 mins on the phone
& for a calm smiling mexican, i feel i did pretty well
my broken accent and surely many English mistakes
but i wasn't intimidated at all...
i was fighting for my rights to live roach-free!!!

specially inside a fridge!!

and yes!! they were right
moving sucks!!

promise to reply to the lovely comments
when i am less pissed off

and oh human deals,
here we go

8 comments:

Διάττων said...

Too bad that you found roaches in your new house. So, are you on the road again? Try to get your money back (i mean the first rent you gave as a deposit). Please, just get a lawyer in case you have trouble.

My best wishes for you to have good news soon. I 'll be waiting for them...

Διάττων said...

Berenice, write "new apartment gone away", not awry...

the thilo said...

Oh Frau Bere, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
And awry is correct! :)
A hug and a beso!
Thilolito

bereweber said...

dear herr Thilolito
and dear Diatton

thank you so much for your kind words! one survive the days thanks to friends and family support, and my comfort is that for each crappy person i met out there, there is a least a cool one around huh?

and yes! the apartment went awry & away too

soo sad, i had hopes to move to a nicer place, i know i still will, but my money is on hold now...

at the end i cannot blame not even the landlord or anyboby but myself for making stupid decisions, it's costly to learn in this life, i do hope i learn my lesson well...

herr Thilo, a hug back!

Smorg said...

Oy vey Bere!
That sounds entomologically aweful! I hope the landlord would quit playing around and give you your deposit back soon. A find like you made is most unbecoming, I think. :o(

I hope this will get resolved and that you'll find an even better apartment to move into soon. All my fingers and toes are crossed (and I'm doing my best to get my ears to do the same) for ya'!

Smorgy ... is also knocking on the woods with my well-seasoned forehead... For good measure. :o)

Georg said...

Bonjour Berenice,

As friend Smorgy says, let's cross everything so that you get your money back.

There are two sayings that come to my mind as to this situation:

1. "Ecrasez l'infâme" (kind of 'crash the vile), but also

2. A hand you cannot chop off, you have to kiss it.

In clear English this would mean that going to court might cost you three times as much than the money you wish to get back. You have to find out what is cheaper.

Georg

Geisslein said...

Dear Berenice,
life is really not always fair, isn´t it? And this is what I hate sometimes, the unfairness! I always ask myself, what did I wrong, why must this happen to mee? I hope everything in your life will turn into GREAT SOON! I will cross my fingers and toes for you too!Nothing is to bad in life that you can not learn from it. I will learn my own lesson from my present situation (hopefully) too!
Wish you all the best, thank you for you lovely words for my current situation and I send you a warm and big hug back from germany! Keap your head up! I will do the same! And don´t forget: Girls are tougher than tigers!

bereweber said...

yaaayy, thank you so much to all my dear online friends, mister Smorg, Herr Georg, and lovely Geisslein, and before Diatton & herr Thilo for all your great words of support!

friends make anything better, even the dealing with stubborn landlords and roaches, i truly appreciate all your support

and hey!! with so many fingers, thumbs crossed we can all make a human pretzel heh heh

i will keep you posted on the outcome of this sour episode, but as for tonight, i am enjoying the start of a weekend in Sunny Diego, and after all, having to prepare for the frustrated moving made me moved & pack many things, so at least i have a clean, emptier home for the weekend ;)

hugs to Europe and California

enjoy your weekend very much