Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Awakening, Kate Chopin



after reading I Me My's review of
Kate Chopin's The Awakening
i remembered that El Perro's father
gave me a used copy of the book
i went looking right away for my copy
which i remembered very well
mostly for it's cover...
fair enough, after all i am a designer
so colors and shapes stick to my brain
easier than plots or names


[front & back of my old used copy, rather cool!]

and i just happen to be
"in between" books
so after reading I Me My's compelling review
i am making it my next book to read

and i already have 2 favorite parts of the book
the lower back cover design
[pictured above]
and the pencil-written price of 1 dollar

2 comments:

Id it is said...

That cover design is a lot different from the one I have or teven the few others I have seen...wonder what year yours was published...

I would love to hear your thoughts on 'The Awakening', and I'm almost sure you'll enjoy it.

bereweber said...

buenos días I Me/Id, yes, this edition i have is very very old, of course the first thing i did was to refer myself to the colophon, which is NOT there! it's a weird little edition, it has a short review in the inner flap that continues on the back flap of the book, and on the back of the first page it reads: printed in the US, on the back flap says again printed in the USA and below there is a number, which cannot be the printed year 'cause it is 1679!!
now the one piece of information the book has is on the spine of the book, in small letters says: Nelson Doubleday, i just googled it and it's an old publishing house founded in 1897!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubleday_(publisher)

they seem to have been part of Random House and nowadays still have a site

http://doubleday.knopfdoubleday.com/

my friend's Dad lives in the East Coast, in Detroit, and he sends us tons of used books, most of them pretty old, so i am happy i came across this little old jewel :D

so far i am in page 25 and already relating with the moods of Mrs. Edna Pontellier, can't wait to go home and continue reading

just so you know, am in a bit of black days these days, and for 3 or 4 days i tried to read a couple of books and couldn't get engaged... if we believe in faith, i feel your review came not by chance, and not by chance i happen to have the same book, when i read your review, i thought i was probably/hopefully a little sign, and then again one can interpreter life and coincidences in so many charming ways :D

take care dear ID, and will let you know when i am done with the book!

gracias!
bere