Wednesday, May 24, 2006

one henry james day

as I search, and become overwhelmed always seeing the flocks of materials coming, into English and American literature figures; (and not that I am done with the Latin’s, the Europeans, or even less with my beloved Southern American authors). However, as I search in English, and why English? Well, because I am following the switch of a language, from Spanish to English with its implications on the adulteration of my once-better-defined-since-in-narrower-mind-landscapes-developed personality.

Then, I am finding authors that might fit and soothe my mad person (mad as in crazy, deranged, or lacking restraint or reason, or foolish, but NOT as in angry), authors that dedicate their lives and sensitiveness to write thoughts, legends, stories on the humane splendor and also on its horrible complications, for us one day to find and read and embrace. Authors who wrote marvelous words in English that might ensemble with my sight of life and sense. Authors who wrote a word or two that might bring me back to my own personal corner, where there are no big plans nor big treasures but the pleasure of the beauty on nothingness, on the little details of every day, those details that i can depend on: on teas, coffee, sounds of birds, noisy guitar feedbacks, one or two flowers appearing and trees that become older, and the art of my friends that is always shinning.

In this newest language, (5 years by now of being official, as official English can be in San Diego) today I am finally getting into Henry James. Not that I am picking to read one of his novels, not yet, but in a quick break at work and while I search, I read on him, and some of his texts and quoting, I think one day I will have to read "The Ambassadors" hopefully before I am much much older than this day, the one day I read for the first time some Henry James filigreeing one's soul with his wording... so little time! so many wonderful words, books, poems, sounds, records... aesthetic overwhelming joy

here some of Henry James quoting
Thank goodness you're a failure-- it's why I so distinguish you! Anything else to-day is too hideous. Look about you--look at the successes. Would you BE one, on your honour?
"The Ambassadors", Book First, Chapter 3

People can be in general pretty well trusted, of course--with the clock of their freedom ticking as loud as it seems to do here--to keep an eye on the fleeting hour.
"The Ambassadors", Book Fifth, Chapter 2


Live all you can - it's a mistake not to. It doesn't so much matter what you do in particular, so long as you have your life. If you haven't had that, what have you had?
"The Ambassadors"

Even when a thing's already nice there mostly is some other thing that would have been nicer - or as to which we wonder if it wouldn't.
"The Ambassadors", Book Ninth, Chapter 2
She had fortunately always her appetite for news. The pure flame of the disinterested burned in her cave of treasures as a lamp in a Byzantine vault.
"The Ambassadors", Book Ninth, Chapter 2

He had the entertainment of thinking that if he had for that moment stopped the clock it was to promote the next minute this still livelier motion.
"The Ambassadors", Book Eighth, Chapter 2
For the worst sign of all--as I must have it for you-- is that you can't help me. That's when a woman pities.
"The Ambassadors", Book Sixth, Chapter 2


Cats and monkeys; monkeys and cats; all human life is there.

It takes a great deal of history to produce a little literature.

She had an unequalled gift... of squeezing big mistakes into small opportunities.

and my favorite:
Deep experience is never peaceful.

also visit the Ladder a website devoted to Henry
“It rested – the ladder – against the great stony wall of the public attention”
The papers – Henry James

No comments: